It is extremely important to understand that how your yard looks throughout the season is dependent on the initial clean up at the beginning of the season. This is because our maintenance service is designed to maintain the current state of your gardens and landscape in general.
The spring clean-up sets the tone for the rest of the year and starts the growing season off right.
Basic services performed in a spring clean-up include: debris removal, garden preparation (edging, weeding and cultivating or turning the mulch), and pruning hedges, bushes or ornamental grasses. Removing all winter debris cleans up the yard and removes any decaying material that may be harboring pathogens and pests which could be harmful to your plant life.
Benefits of Spring Garden Clean-up
We always recommend spring clean-up to our clients for five reasons:
- Debris removal: Your garden is exposed to a lot of breakdown in the winter months. The weight of snow and ice in combination with wintery winds leads to fallen leaves, twigs, and other debris that not only make a mess, but that can also interfere with your spring garden blooming. We clear it all away so your garden can breathe and fill out properly.
- Spring fertilizer/treatments: Depending on the types of trees and plants in your yard, you will need some fertilizer or treatments to protect against things such as fungal growths. Fertilizers also provide nutrients to the soil to nurture growth.
- Mulching: Mulch tidies everything up, prevents weeds and gives your garden a “finished” look throughout the summer months.
- Get ahead of the game: It’s not uncommon to plan to do your spring garden clean up but busy schedules get in the way. We do the hard work so you can get ahead of the game and also enjoy warm spring weather without the worry of property maintenance.
- Clean slate: If you love gardening, you’ll have a clean slate for your summer plantings.
Contact us today to book your spring clean-up and have your property in tip-top shape for the summer.
Just like you would tidy and close up your cottage for the winter season, a fall clean up is a necessary service to tidy up your property before the winter. Our team will perform weekly clean ups before their scheduled grass maintenance. In the weeks subsequent to the last mowing (end of October) and after the majority of your leaves have dropped, our maintenance team will be conducting fall clean-ups.
The main focus of this final clean-up is to clear lawns and gardens of debris and litter and prepare the grass and gardens for a long winter.
Decomposing plant material can be a haven for insect eggs, fungi and plant diseases, allowing them to take hold in your yard and attack your lawn and plants in the spring. We can also prepare your trees and shrubs for cold conditions by pruning and removing dead twigs and branches, as well as burlap wrapping as needed, which prevents damage caused by heavy snow.
Benefits of Fall Garden Clean-up
There are five benefits to starting your garden prep in the fall including:
- Early start: The clean-up you do now gives you a jump on spring garden maintenance.
- Preventing pests and diseases: By clearing away debris, you reduce the risk for pests and diseases in the spring. Mould spores from fallen leaves contaminate soil, which can then reinfect shrubs and trees in the spring. You also reduce the spread of fungal growth and bacterial infections.
- Protects your lawn and allows it to breathe so it doesn’t collect water
- Keeps your perennial beds and vegetable gardens healthier as temperatures rise
- If you have fruit trees, helps avoid the reestablishment of pests and fungus from rotting fruit on the ground
Contact us today to prepare your lawn and gardens for the cold of the winter.